Sunday 12 May 2013

Drama recommendations

Before the recommendations, let me chatter a bit about how I got into watching korean drama.
I was just watching a korean mv today let us love from drama protect the boss. And then my mind went back to 3 years ago when I first got into this new era of 'korean wave'. I remember seeing it all over facebook - people's status about how 'You're beautiful' drama is so amazing etc. And then one of my friends, recommended me to watch it. After a lot of hesitations, I eventually tried to watch the first episode. At first I thought What the hell! I don't understand anything. People seriously watch like this?!. But the storyline was intriguing so I didn't know if I wanted to watch it or not.
I tried finding the dubbed version of it but all to vain. And then I stumbled upon this Korean movie called 'Seducing Mr. Perfect'. It was half english, half korean movie. So I decided to watch it. To be honest, it was really funny and gave a different vibe to other movies I had watched. In other words this was the beginning of my 'addiction'. And then after that, I remember spending that whole week just watching tons of Korean movies. It was all melodrama genres so I cried buckets. Mentioning a few - The Classic, Millionaire's First Love, Il mare etc.

And then the whole addiction was off for few months as I was very busy. Then the other day, my friend asked if I had watched the drama that she recommended to me. I suddenly remembered that I still hadn't watched YB (you're beautiful). Now that I was a bit used to the language, I gave it a go. Oh my God. Best thing ever. I loved it so much. And then I don't even know how many dramas I watched.

The language just kept being more fun and exciting to explore. I even started to speak some short slangs in daily life. I remember once my mum called me for supper and I went - Arrasso! (means okay). That's only one to mention. My brother got really confused with what I was saying. I even called him 'oppa' few times.

I got into Kpop much later. It was a year after I got into kdramas. The first kpop song I listened to was Lucifer by SHINee. Kpop is exciting too. But there's so many groups, it's hard to be updated with everything at once.

So back to the main point! Here are my top 5 kdrama recommendations. These are all rom-com.


5. You're beautiful 

About a girl who pretends to be a guy and joins a boy group A.N.JELL. The fun lies in being all secretive and trying to hide the fact.

4. Protect the boss

Fun. Fun. Fun. It's a light drama that'll definitely grow on you as you keep watching. Warning: Tons of humour might break your jaws T^T
I haven't ever seen such a great chemistry between main leads.



3. The Moon embracing the sun 

If you're into sageuk (historical) dramas, this is definitely a top dog. In fact, even if you're not into sageuk, after watching this you'll definitely start loving sageuk. It's a bit tearjerker though. So get your tissues ready. But overall, a sweet love story between king and queen circa Joseon dynasty. However , the Evil characters really get up your nerves and you just want to go there and beat the crap out of them. 



2. Rooftop prince

This drama is a sageuk fusion. That means it has parts in historical settings and also in present setting. Mostly modern setting. It's a sweet love story and a total comedy. The King along with his 4 loyal buddies escaping from kingdom enemies suddenly find themselves in the middle of a traffic pack road in 2012. What would you do if you suddenly leapt forward 300 years? It takes you to rollercoaster of exciting and embarassing situations. 




*** Drum roll **** 

And here comes #1

1. My girlfriend is a gumiho: MY PERSONAL FAVOURITE!!

Just words is not enough to describe my love for this drama. It's so so amazing. I don't want to say thing. Just watch the drama and you'll understand. I think what made this drama even interesting is the main leads. They're the cutest couple ever. Shin Min Ah is just a pure goddess. No I'm not exaggerating. And Lee Seung Gi is just *_*. The storyline is amazing. As the title says, the girlfriend is a gumiho. Gumiho is a legendary nine-tailed fox according to korean folktales. The girl is powerful and really that's where the fun lies. And the adventure begins......




There's one drama that I have not included in my top 5. But I still want to mention about it. I love that drama not because it's sweet, rom-com genre etc. but this drama depicts reality and makes you think about many things. 

Hakgyo 2013 (School 2013)


Basically this drama is about the students, the teachers, the friendship, the stress it comes with studying, the bullies, the victims, the aspiration to win - about the school. It taught me so many things and definitely won a soft spot in my heart. And oh yeah, not forgetting the bromance!!! *_*


~♥ Nam Soon and Seung Joo ♥~ 


***



1 comment:

  1. protect the boss seems funny...haha..
    would love to watch My girlfriend is a gumiho together :*

    ReplyDelete